Sunday, April 28, 2013

Week 39

If anyone has been confused...sorry. I am due May 3rd which is a friday and I know I have been posting my blog on random days so just so it's clear, week 39 was last friday which was the 26th.

Week 37 I started getting checked. Found out I was 1+ centimeters dilated and 60 percent effaced. At week 38 I was 2 centimeters dilated and 75 percent effaced. And week 39 I was 2+ centimeters dilated and still 75 percent effaced. It was at this appointment that Dr. Johnson told me he wanted to induce me because baby girl Olivia already feels like she is about 8 pounds. Now this really isn't very big but he feels with my height and size if she gets too much bigger it will be hard for me to deliver her naturally so I am getting induced Wednesday night (may 1st). We will go in about 8 o'clock and he will give me some sort of oral medication which should get things going. If it doesn't, then he will do more things like break my water and start me on Pitocin and so on and so on.

 Something I've been keeping to myself is my blood sugar. As you may remember from previous posts I didn't get to take my glucose test til much later then normal. My doctor's office kept rescheduling me and then it took 2 weeks to get the results back. So my one hour test was high (not sure how high all they said was high). So this meant I had to do a 3 hour test. This means going in at 9 in the a.m. fasting and having blood drawn and then drinking the glucose drink again which this time is two times the concentration of the one hour test and then they test you every hour for 3 hours. Well I was only able to have the fasting one drawn because I couldn't keep the drink down. So, what the doctor had me do instead was get a glucose monitoring system (one that diabetics use) and keep track of my blood sugar by pricking my finger twice a day.

 The reason I didn't tell anyone is because I felt embarrassed, I know that's not rational but you can't help but feel how you feel. I was also angry. Angry that it took so long for them to get me the test and then get the results and angry at myself for not pushing the issue. Well after testing my sugar for a week my doctor said they actually looked great not even border line. But he had me test for another week anyway. The next week was the same. But at week 39 he was still calling me a gestational diabetic patient. Even tho the only real thing that indicated that I was was the one hour test and apparently it is VERY common to not pass that one. But he's being on the safe side so I guess and I can't really blame him for that.

 So that takes us to today, Sunday. Like I said I'm getting induced Wednesday. This has it's own set of feelings. I'm excited I have a date (even tho I could go into labor before that), it will be nice to be able to gather all my things together and calmly drive over and be under care the whole time and be able to ask any questions I have about labor from the very beginning. However, it's also nerve racking cause I've heard not good things about pitocin, especially if they use a lot. It can make you feel nauseous and it speeds up your contractions and makes them more intense before your body would have done naturally. But I think overall I'm just excited to meet this little girl. So, there will be no week 40 as I will not be going over my due date, the next post should be the birth story.

Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Are you going to have an epidural? If so, no worries about the pitocin, if not, well then....GOOD LUCK indeed :) Im excited for you. Cant wait to see pictures
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got nauseous with the pitocin. It does makes your contraction build up faster...not necessarily worse than regular ones but you don't get the time to get used to them and build up a pain tolerance as you go along like you would going completely natural.

    And if you choose to get the epidural, DO NOT feel bad for doing it. I so didn't want to get one with Devon...wanted natural and all that(but the kid was getting big and had a huge head :) ). It helped me relax so I wasn't in labor as long...I wasn't progressing much before the epidural and I was already dialated to above a 3 and fully effaced before being induced. And I got some sleep...I was induced at night too. Had him at 1am....so tired!

    Good luck and DO NOT feel bad about anything that you need to do to be comfortable and deliver a healthy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck! I was induced with Katelyn about a week after she was due. They gave me pitocin and I didn't experience any sickness. The contractions do come quickly but I didn't think they were anymore intense.

    I enjoyed being induced because I didn't have to worry about where I was when I went into labor. Andy and I were already together in the hospital and I could ask a nurse anything if I had a question.

    Don't feel bad if you want an epidural. I decided to get one with Katelyn and it made it so nice. It was nice to get in some rest before she came. 16 hours of labor is quite a long time with out one.

    Can't wait to see her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Leslie!! I'll be thinking of you guys! Hope everything goes well. You are going to be incredible during labor and you are going to be an incredible Mom!!

    ReplyDelete